The first time I had Splenda was in a candy my mother gave me. Now, I was never a fan of artificial sweeteners in the first place, but I was told that this was different.
They were right.
As soon as the candy touched my tongue, I had to spit it out. It felt like I had placed acid on my tongue. Very soon, my stomach started rumbling. Within minutes, I had the worst hour of gas I'd had ever. I shudder to think what might have happened if I'd had the entire candy.
So, for a while, I assumed I was safe from Splenda. If it causes these problems, it's not likely to catch on, right?
Soon I was seeing the Splenda logo everywhere I looked. New diet drinks, sugar free popsicles, basically anything that used to use aspartame.
Then came the real problem.
One day, I was offered a stick of gum. I began chewing said piece, waiting for the flavor to show itself. The flavor turned out to be acid.Hurriedly, I spit the gum out. I thought it horrible. They were using Splenda in gum now?
I asked to see the package. No, there was no Splenda logo on the package. I checked the ingredients. There it was, 'sucralose', the technical name for Splenda.
It was my worst fear. Splenda was being used without warning. Apparently, too many people are unaware of it's dangers. It may never again be safe to eat or drink anything sweet without checking the ingredients list.
Warn your friends about the dangers of Splenda. The colon you save may be your own.